Jessy of Adrigole and Niall MacAllister provide certified Irish Sailing Cruising Training in Bantry Bay and the Cork, Kerry coast
Learn to sail a yacht while enjoying the spectacular waters of Bantry Bay and the Cork and Kerry coastline. Sailing with the dolphins, anchoring up with the seals and swimming off the back into crystal clear and clean waters at the end of the day. This is a magical place to learn to sail. The fishing port of Castletownbere, sheltered coves for anchoring, two marinas and numerous moorings, there is plenty to experience to ensure you learn what you need to become a safe and competent Sailor
Dates are limited as we explore distant oceans researching the marine mammals of the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Antarctic in the off season. So grab a place while you can.
The following courses and adventures are our scheduled trips onboard Jessy of Adrigole for you to book on your own or with a friend and join like-minded adventurers on board. We issue new dates all the time, so if these don’t suit you, please email us.
Alternatively, you can choose your own dates and duration to suit you and a have the boat to yourself, with Yachtmaster Instructor to formal Irish Sailing training or enjoy a relaxing week exploring the coast and discovering the wildlife.
LIVE ABOARD TRAINING DATES
Day Skipper and Competent Crew Live Aboard Training
Boarding in Adrigole Harbour and exploring Bantry Bay as you train for your Competent Crew or Day Skipper Irish Sailing Certification
€620 * per person sharing a double cab €860 single in a private double cabin
* You can book a private cabin or double occupancy with a friend (we do not match 2 singles to make a double, as we find people prefer their own space and not sharing with strangers).
- ⛵ 1-5 Sept FULL
- ⛵ 25-29 June FULL
- ⛵ 12-16 June FULL
- ⛵ 30 April – 4 May FULL
All currently scheduled courses are now full. We may schedule another course towards the end of August if there is sufficient demand email firstname.lastname@example.org with your prefered dates if interested.
We operate private charters, research contracts and the kayak rental, so can only schedule a few Cruising training weeks a year. If you see a date you want, we recommend you book as soon as you can.
You may be able to schedule more dates or provide a private charter with tuition. (NOTE: we don’t recommend adults trying to combine a training course and managing small children)
To Book: Email email@example.com for advice and availability, then complete the form below to book your place and pay 50% deposit, the balance is then due 30days prior to departure. Thank you.
(you can see full T&C HERE)
Training dates scheduled on demand for Coastal Skipper, email us if interested firstname.lastname@example.org
Further dates or changes can be scheduled on demand – email us email@example.com
Private Charters with Training
- Have the boat all to yourself and your friends or family.
- Skippered charter price + training fee + meals = a brilliant week with friends or family learning something new and discovering the wonders of our beautiful coast together.
- ⛵ example … a private 5 day skippered charter with meals and training for 4 people = €2442. 2 people = €2096
- See the all the charter rates here
The Nitty Gritty
- Live aboard 5 day prices includes simple meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner – bring our own treats.
- All meals are vegetarian or responsibly sourced meats.
- We have the option to eat out one evening if Covid restrictions and availability allow.
- Foul weather gear is available, but we do recommend you have our own. Life-jacket, mooring and marina fees, diesel are included.
- SEE the rates page for variety of course options and their prices.
- The Irish coastline has some good eateries and if you want to eat ashore just let us know.
- You will need to bring waterproof footwear (clean wellies) and a sleeping bag and pillow. We recommend you take a look at our packing suggestion list and info on Jessy here.
Competent Crew, Day Skipper or Coastal Skipper?
Irish Sailing Competent Crew
To experience being at the helm, helping with the sails, dealing with ropes, learning about being safe on the water and being a competent crew member. This introductory course is ideal for anyone new to sailing. Topics covered include:
- Yachting Terms – Understand what everyone is talking about and being able to respond to any instructions given.
- Rope Work – How to tie the yacht up securely, learn to tie a few knots and to safely hand ropes.
- Steering – Experience helming the yacht under different sail settings, including under power, setting the sails and understanding how the sails work.
- Fire – Awareness and actions required.
- Emergency Equipment – What’s on board and what to do with it.
- Highway Code – Just helping the more experienced know what to be aware of.
- The Weather – Where to obtain the weather and a little bit of understanding.
- Man Overboard – No volunteers necessary just learn to help out.
- Personal Safety – Learning to make use of the safety aids to keep the sport a fun safe pleasure experience.
- Dinghies – How to safely get into and out of a small inflatable and how to row one
- Manners and Responsibilities – The dos and don’ts of how to behave in a maritime environment.
On successful completion of the course you will be awarded the Irish Sailing Competent Crew Course completion certificate.
Irish Sailing Yachtmaster Coastal Sea-Based Course
Taking your boat out a little further along the coast and into the night is thrilling. The
The aim of the Yachtmaster Coastal (Sail) course is to provide participants with the basic skills and knowledge necessary to skipper a sailing yacht by night and day in waters with which they are not familiar. So you can venture further and enjoy what the coastline and new ports have to offer.
The course is a minimum 5-day course that involves intensive passage planning and the execution of such.
Assessment is continuous through the course.
Previous Experience Required
Minimum 15 days at sea, 300 miles logged, and at least 8 hours at night and 2 days as skipper.
Irish Sailing Day Skipper Practical
Skippering a yacht for the first time can be a daunting yet exhilarating experience. The Day Skipper Practical Course is designed to teach you to “Take Charge” safely and confidently. A skipper does much more than navigate. They are responsible for the complete safety and well being of the yacht and crew.
- The Day Skipper Course is aimed at teaching pilotage, navigation, seamanship, weather forecasting, victualling, engine maintenance, sail selection and boat handling up to a standard required to skipper a small cruising yacht by day in familiar tidal waters.
- Your instructor will demonstrate these skills and you will put them into practice as you skipper the yacht on short passages around the beautiful Bantry Bay.
- There is particular emphasis on boat handling for Day Skippers and during the 5 days you will practice mooring under various conditions. You will live aboard for the duration of the course and visit many different harbours and anchorages to practice your pilotage techniques. You will complete at least 4 night hours sailing to experience night pilotage and identify lights.
- At the end of the course you should be confident to skipper a cruising yacht on short passages by day. Students who successfully complete the Day Skipper course are awarded the Irish Sailing Day Skipper Completion certificate.
- (Night sailing only possible in winter months. )
Previous Experience Required
- At least 5 Days on-board a sailing yacht with 100 nautical miles logged and at least 4 night hours. A knowledge of basic navigation and sailing ability to Competent Crew (see above) is essential. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Shored based navigation courses ranging from 2 day basics to Yachtmaster theory are available for groups of friends, search and rescue groups and families planning a big trip. Contact us to discuss your needs email@example.com