Bantry Bay Sailing Club has once again linked up with Jessy of Adrigole and Niall MacAllister to provide Irish Sailing Cruising Training
Imagine learning to sail a yacht while enjoying the spectacular waters of Bantry Bay and the Cork and Kerry coastline. Sailing with the dolphins, anchoring up with the seals and swimming off the back into crystal clear and clean waters at the end of the day. Magical. I’m not sure why you would want to learn anywhere else. Did I mention the instructor is a chef, marine biologist and fluent french. Oh la la. Dates are limited as he has explores distant oceans researching the marine mammals of the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Antarctic. So grab a place while you can.
The Nitty Gritty
- Prices range from €550 cabin sharing on a 5 day Day Skipper to €1500 for 10 day Coastal Skipper and Adventure Sailing with private cabin.
- 10% off all cruising training for Bantry Bay Sailing Club Members or opt to donate your 10% to help Bantry Bay Sailing Club development and growth.
- All live aboard courses include foul weather gear*, life-jacket, mooring and marina fees, diesel, breakfast and lunch.
- Number of evening dinners aboard depends on duration
- SEE the rates page.
- The Irish Coast has some good eateries ashore and we want to give you a real taste of West Cork and Kerry and enjoy some good local cuisine.
- You will need to bring waterproof footwear (clean wellies) and a sleeping bag and pillow. We recommend you take a look at our packing suggestion list and info on Jessy here.
- * Note: We stock a broad range of offshore gear sizes, but if you are particularly large or small please check we have kit to fit. If you have your own, bring it along.
Competent Crew, Day Skipper or Coastal Skipper?
Irish Sailing Competent Crew
To experience being at the helm, helping with the sails, dealing with ropes, learning about being safe on the water and being a competent crew member. This introductory course is ideal for anyone new to sailing. Topics covered include:
- Yachting Terms – Understand what everyone is talking about and being able to respond to any instructions given.
- Rope Work – How to tie the yacht up securely, learn to tie a few knots and to safely hand ropes.
- Steering – Experience helming the yacht under different sail settings, including under power, setting the sails and understanding how the sails work.
- Fire – Awareness and actions required.
- Emergency Equipment – What’s on board and what to do with it.
- Highway Code – Just helping the more experienced know what to be aware of.
- The Weather – Where to obtain the weather and a little bit of understanding.
- Man Overboard – No volunteers necessary just learn to help out.
- Personal Safety – Learning to make use of the safety aids to keep the sport a fun safe pleasure experience.
- Dinghies – How to safely get into and out of a small inflatable and how to row one
- Manners and Responsibilities – The dos and don’ts of how to behave in a maritime environment.
On successful completion of the course you will be awarded the Irish Sailing Competent Crew Course completion certificate.
Irish Sailing Yachtmaster Coastal Sea-Based Course
Taking your boat out a little further along the coast and into the night is thrilling. The
The aim of the Yachtmaster Coastal (Sail) course is to provide participants with the basic skills and knowledge necessary to skipper a sailing yacht by night and day in waters with which they are not familiar. So you can venture further and enjoy what the coastline and new ports have to offer.
Assessment is continuous through the course.
Irish Sailing Day Skipper Practical
Skippering a yacht for the first time can be a daunting yet exhilarating experience. The Day Skipper Practical Course is designed to teach you to “Take Charge” safely and confidently. A skipper does much more than navigate. They are responsible for the complete safety and well being of the yacht and crew.
- The Day Skipper Course is aimed at teaching pilotage, navigation, seamanship, weather forecasting, victualling, engine maintenance, sail selection and boat handling up to a standard required to skipper a small cruising yacht by day in familiar tidal waters.
- Your instructor will demonstrate these skills and you will put them into practice as you skipper the yacht on short passages around the beautiful Bantry Bay.
- There is particular emphasis on boat handling for Day Skippers and during the 5 days you will practice mooring under various conditions. You will live aboard for the duration of the course and visit many different harbours and anchorages to practice your pilotage techniques. You will complete at least 4 night hours sailing to experience night pilotage and identify lights.
- At the end of the course you should be confident to skipper a cruising yacht on short passages by day. Students who successfully complete the Day Skipper course are awarded the Irish Sailing Day Skipper Completion certificate.
Previous Experience Required
- At least 5 Days on-board a sailing yacht with 100 nautical miles logged and at least 4 night hours. A knowledge of basic navigation and sailing ability to Competent Crew (see above) is essential. Email email@example.com for more details.
Shored based navigation courses ranging from 2 day basics to Yachtmaster theory are available for groups of friends, search and rescue groups and families planning a big trip. Contact us to discuss your needs firstname.lastname@example.org