Competent Crew and Day Skipper Courses
with Bantry Bay Sailing Club
Bantry Bay Sailing Club has once again linked up with Jessy of Adrigole to provide Irish Sailing Cruising Training
Imagine learning to sail a yacht while enjoying the spectacular waters of Bantry Bay and the Cork and Kerry coastline. Sailing with the dolphins, anchoring up with the seals and swimming off the back into crystal clear and clean waters at the end of the day. Magical. I’m not sure why you would want to learn anywhere else. Did I mention the instructor is a chef, marine biologist and fluent french. Oh la la. Dates are limited as he has explores distant oceans researching the marine mammals of the Atlantic and Mediterranean. So grab a place while you can.
The next Training Dates for 2018 are –
- 30 March – 1 May (5 days) Coastal Skipper
- 30 March – 5 May (7 days) Coastal Skipper + sea miles + legs
- 4 – 8 May Competent Crew
5 days/ 4 nights training Monday 0900 to Friday 1500
See below to choose which course suits your experience – Competent Crew or Day Skipper?
Competent Crew Course
- Competent Crew and Day Skipper
- €500 pp sharing.
- €800 for an individual in your own private cabin.
- Coastal Skipper 5 day
- €600 pp sharing
- €900 for an individual in your own private cabin
- Coastal Skipper 7 day
- €700 pp sharing
- €1000 for an individual in your own private cabin
- (10% off for Bantry Bay Sailing Club Members)
- 5 days 4 nights
- Includes foul weather gear*, life-jacket, mooring and marina fees, diesel, breakfast and lunch. Competent Crew and Day Skipper include 1 evening dinner aboard (Bantry, Glengarriff and Castletownbere have good eateries ashore). Coastal Skipper 5 day includes 3 evening dinners aboard due to the nature of the distances ventured (7 day includes 4 evening dinners).
- You will need to bring waterproof footwear (clean wellies) and a sleeping bag and pillow. We recommend you take a look at our packing suggestion list and info on Jessy here.)
- * Note: We stock a broad range of sizes, if you are particularly large or small please check we have kit to fit
To experience being at the helm, helping with the sails, dealing with ropes, learning about being safe on the water and being a competent crew member. This introductory course is ideal for anyone new to sailing. Topics covered include:
- Yachting Terms – Understand what everyone is talking about and being able to respond to any instructions given.
- Rope Work – How to tie the yacht up securely, learn to tie a few knots and to safely hand ropes.
- Steering – Experience helming the yacht under different sail settings, including under power, setting the sails and understanding how the sails work.
- Fire – Awareness and actions required.
- Emergency Equipment – What’s on board and what to do with it.
- Highway Code – Just helping the more experienced know what to be aware of.
- The Weather – Where to obtain the weather and a little bit of understanding.
- Man Overboard – No volunteers necessary just learn to help out.
- Personal Safety – Learning to make use of the safety aids to keep the sport a fun safe pleasure experience.
- Dinghies – How to safely get into and out of a small inflatable and how to row one
- Manners and Responsibilities – The dos and don’ts of how to behave in a maritime environment.
On successful completion of the course you will be awarded the Irish Sailing Competent Crew Course completion certificate.
Irish Sailing Day Skipper Practical
- Skippering a yacht for the first time can be a daunting yet exhilarating experience. The Day Skipper Practical Course is designed to teach you to “Take Charge” safely and confidently. A skipper does much more than navigate. They are responsible for the complete safety and well being of the yacht and crew.
- The Day Skipper Course is aimed at teaching pilotage, navigation, seamanship, weather forecasting, victualling, engine maintenance, sail selection and boat handling up to a standard required to skipper a small cruising yacht by day in familiar tidal waters.
- Your instructor will demonstrate these skills and you will put them into practice as you skipper the yacht on short passages around the beautiful Bantry Bay.
- There is particular emphasis on boat handling for Day Skippers and during the 5 days you will practice mooring under various conditions. You will live aboard for the duration of the course and visit many different harbours and anchorages to practice your pilotage techniques. You will complete at least 4 night hours sailing to experience night pilotage and identify lights.
- At the end of the course you should be confident to skipper a cruising yacht on short passages by day. Students who successfully complete the Day Skipper course are awarded the Irish Sailing Day Skipper Completion certificate.
Previous Experience Required
- At least 5 Days on-board a sailing yacht with 100 nautical miles logged and at least 4 night hours. A knowledge of basic navigation and sailing ability to Competent Crew (see above) is essential. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Get your Navigation Theory and Day Skipper Practical in One
- €910 pp sharing or
- €1500 single
- Includes your 5 days live aboard training, plus 4 days theory training.